Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hot Chocolate


Once when I was going through a rough patch in my life, a friend of mine brought over a jar of homemade hot chocolate mix. It was just the right gift for me at the time. It showed me she cared without her spending a ton of time or money and hot chocolate can be very comforting.

She included a card with the jar that told how to make up a cup using the mix. On the back of the card was the recipe for making the mix. How thoughtful! Now I can refill the mix whenever I run out.

As we are going into the cold months and also the holiday season, I thought it would be appropriate to post this recipe. Make it for yourself to use at home, or put it in a pretty jar or container as a small gift for a friend or a nice hostess gift if you are going to a party.

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

3 cups nonfat dry milk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 ½ cups Dutch processed cocoa powder
1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
¼ teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients.

To make a cup of hot chocolate using the mix, stir 1/3 cup mix into 1 cup hot milk or water. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows as desired. Personally I like to put one giant marshmallow on top.

I love this hot chocolate in the winter. I keep a stash of it in my cube at work to drink in the afternoons. It also makes a really nice, easy and inexpensive gift for someone. Pair the mix with a cute mug and you are all set! Make sure you include a card or label the mix with instructions on how to make a cup of hot chocolate using the mix. Also include the recipe for making the mix. I’m sure your friend or family member will like the mix so much they will need a refill!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.