Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Strawberry Corn

Back in week 14 of my CSA program I received three ears of dried strawberry corn in my share. Strawberry corn is basically small ears of red corn that look like strawberries.


The CSA guy said to let the ears sit on the counter for another week and then I could put them in a paper bag in the microwave and the kernals would pop off the cob into popcorn. I finally tried it last week.

I put the ear on the left into a brown lunch sack and folded over the top. I put it in the microwave and set the timer for three minutes. I wasn't really sure how long to set the timer, but I figured I could just listen like I do with regular microwave popcorn.

I started the microwave and listened. Before long the kernals started popping! It sounded just like regular popcorn. Not quite sure if I was expecting a more special popping noise or what.

It only took about a minute and a half before the popping slowed down enough that I stopped the microwave and got the bag out. This is what I found:


About half a cup of popcorn popped off the cob. There were a bunch of kernals that popped but stayed on the cob.


The popcorn tasted ok I guess. I think I overcooked it a bit and it didn't have any seasoning. The strawberry corn was fun to try but I don't think I would want to have it around regularly. It would be a fun project for kids though!

No comments: