Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stuffed 'Shrooms

About a month ago my family and I went to a fondue restaurant for my brother and sister’s birthday. If you’ve never been to a fondue restaurant before, you basically cook your main course right there at the table in the fondue pots in the middle. The waiter brings out a big plate of raw meat, a bowl full of veggies and tons of different sauces and batters.

As our waiter was explaining how to cook everything and what sauces go with what, he said that we could also make stuffed mushrooms. He said to stuff the mushrooms with this certain sauce and then batter them and fry them up in the pot. Now I’m not normally a mushroom person. I can stand small mushrooms cooked up in dishes and I’m fine with cream of mushroom soup as a binder in casseroles, but I would never just eat a mushroom. For some reason though I decided to try this whole “stuffed mushroom” thing the waiter had explained. I was feeling adventurous! And you know what? I loved them! They were delicious! I think I ate ten of them that night.

This week I made a pizza for some friends who hit a rough patch in life and took it to them for dinner. I gave them all sorts of toppings to put on their pizza including mushrooms which I would never normally buy or eat. That means I was left with a bunch of mushrooms at home. I HATE wasting food so I was not about to let these mushrooms go bad and get thrown out. Thinking back to my mushroom experience a month ago, I decided to try making stuffed mushrooms at home. I pretty much just used what I had on hand and here’s what I came up with:

Stuffed Mushrooms

Mushrooms, bigger is better
Chive & onion cream cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
Seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse mushrooms and pop stems out. Stir up cream cheese until it’s smooth and spreadable. Spoon a dollop of cream cheese into a mushroom. Dip and roll the mushroom around in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.

I made eight stuffed mushrooms this way. After I let them cool awhile I ate four of them. They weren’t too bad! Mostly they tasted like the blob of cream cheese in the middle with a little extra crunchiness on the outside. But that was okay with me – I mean who doesn’t like a big blob of cream cheese?


So was it worth it? These mushrooms took approximately thirty minutes to make from start to finish, including washing the mushrooms. Of course I only made eight of them total. If you were making a large quantity for say a party appetizer, it would take a significant amount of time to stuff them all.

Overall I liked them so they were worth making to me. They were easy and pretty tasty. The next time I make them though I will probably try a different filling. The cream cheese was good, but I think there’s probably something better out there.

No comments: