Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things I Love: Two Cup Pyrex Bowls (With Lids)


I thought I would start a new group of posts called things I love where I talk about... things I love. I’ve got several tools and gadgets around my home that I love and use all the time and would like to share with whoever wants to read about them!

The first up is my two cup Pyrex bowls with lids. I have seven of these bowls! They are awesome all-purpose bowls. My main use for these bowls is freezing soups and sauces and such. They are just the right size for one serving of soup. After I make a big batch of soup or stew or chili, I take all the leftovers and portion them out into these bowls. Then I snap the plastic lids on and stack them all up in the freezer. When I’m scrambling to get out the door in the morning I can grab one of these out of the freezer to take for lunch. Or when I need something for dinner I can pull one or two out.

Because these bowls are glass they can go straight from the freezer to the microwave. You can also use them in the oven if you so desire (not the lids). I’ve often wanted to make personal size lasagnas or tuna casseroles in them. And supposedly you are not supposed to use plastic in the microwave because it leaches chemicals into your food. Well I don’t know too much about that but with these bowls there are no worries.

I also like the fact that because they are glass they are clear so you can see what’s inside of them when they are stacked up in your freezer.

Plastic tends to wear out over time however glass will last for years. I use my bowls over and over and over again, almost on a daily basis. The first four I received as a gift in a Pyrex set six or seven years ago. They are as good as new today. The next three I just received as a gift this past Christmas. They are actually the Anchor Hocking brand, but it’s pretty much the same thing.

These bowls can be purchased at Target or Walmart and probably a lot of other stores. I think they are an awesome investment and a great tool to use in your kitchen.

Here are mine at work in my freezer containing the Cheesy Chicken Soup:

No comments: