Sunday, April 13, 2008

Yogurt Pound Cake

I eat yogurt all the time, but I don’t really cook a lot with yogurt. I’ve found that I don’t care that much for the tangy, yogurt-y taste in cooking. I prefer the taste of sour cream which is an easy substitute for yogurt. Baking however is another story. Yogurt is a substitute for butter in this pound cake recipe that I found on Epicurious. You can not detect the tangy yogurt taste in this cake.

Yogurt Cake with Orange Marmalade Glaze
8 servings

1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp (packed) finely grated lemon peel
¼ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup orange marmalade (for glaze)
1 tsp water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter an 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ inch metal loaf pan. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon peel and vanilla in a large bowl; whisk until well blended. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients. Fold in oil. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Place pan on baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack for five minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely.

Stir marmalade and one teaspoon water in small saucepan over medium heat until marmalade melts. Brush hot mixture over top of cake. Let glaze cool and set. Cut crosswise into slices.


The result? I thought this cake was pretty good for a simple pound cake. I used non-fat yogurt in this recipe which in stead of using butter makes the cake a little bit healthier. The real kicker to this cake is the marmalade glaze on top – yum! I think this cake would be a good addition to a brunch and I’d also like to try making it in cupcake form sometime.

No comments: