Wednesday, October 1, 2008

CSA: Week 20

A little catching up! Here's what I received during Week 20:

Cantaloupe!
4 golden zucchinis
3 tomatoes
1 cucumber
tons of green beans



The cantaloupe actually ended up being a little squishy but I was able to salvage most of it. I was intrigued by the golden zucchinis. Some people might look at that and go "it's a yellow squash." No that is not true. A golden zucchini is different from a yellow squash. First of all they are a deeper yellow color than a yellow squash. They are also shaped differently. A yellow squash has a narrow end and a fat end while the golden zucchini is more uniform. I also think that the skin of a yellow squash is a lot tougher than a golden zucchini. The four in the share were pretty small so I actually ended up buying a larger one at the market the following morning:



It was good. Tasted like...a zucchini. :) I am considering growing these next year though to add a little variety to the regular green zucchini. I don't like yellow squash as much as zucchini but I still cook with it to break up the monotony of the always green zucchini. Now that I've found the golden zucchini I can use it instead!

Note - I am actually writing this post after I wrote the post for Week 22, however I am back dating it because I have to have the weeks in order. It would drive me crazy to have Week 20 after Week 22!

No comments: