Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

So I seem to have a bit of an obsession with orange vegetables lately. I feel like I've been posting a lot about pumpkin, butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Maybe it's just the season? Well here we go again. This recipe is from 365 Easy Vegetarian Recipes.

Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Serves 4

1 big sweet potato
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup soy milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel and dice the sweet potato. In a large pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and simmer approximately 20 minutes or until tender. Add corn and soy milk. Simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until hot.

With an immersion blender, puree part of the soup in the pot (but not all). If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer a couple ladles of the soup to a food processor or blender and puree. Transfer puree back to soup pot. Stir to combine.

My take on it: I made this recipe exactly as written, except I added the puree part at the end. And honestly when I first picked it out, I wasn't expecting much. There's just not that much to it. But I was actually blown away by how good it was! It was so rich and creamy and velvety. Extremely delicious. I'm not sure if it was the sweet potato or the combination of ingredients or what.

Now I apologize for this crappy picture. My husband had left our camera at his office so I couldn't take a picture the night we made it. We had enough for lunch leftovers the next day so I asked him to take a picture at work:


The amount of soup leftover wasn't quite enough for two people to have lunch the next day. So we cooked up some barley to beef it up and added that to the rest of the soup. It was just as delicious with the barley. My husband said he even liked it better with the barley.

There is one thing I think I would change for next time. I will add half of the corn to the soup, then puree, then add the rest of the corn (or increase the amount of corn). It seemed like most of the corn was pulverized during the pureeing process, so there weren't many corn kernals left. You could still taste the corn but I think I would like a few more whole corn kernals in there.

Bottom Line: I will defintely make this again. It was quick, easy and delicious.

No comments: