Saturday, July 26, 2008

Homemade Pesto

Last week I cut down a bunch of my basil plants so I could make homemade pesto. I love pesto. It's so versatile and delicious. You can put it on almost anything.

My friend Katie (the same Katie of the pizza and oreo recipes) forwarded me this recipe from Epicurious. She also grows her own basil and makes her own pesto too.

Pesto
Approximately 1 1/3 cups

3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsly grated (2/3 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop. Stop motor and add nuts, cheese, salt, pepper and basil, then process until finely chopped. Stop and scrap down bowl if needed. With motor running again, add oil, blending until incorporated.

Pesto keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, one week.


It looks like green glop.

I put half of it in the freezer and the rest in the fridge. Let me tell you it turned out fantastic. I used good olive oil and real Parmigiano-Reggiano that I grated myself. So far I've used it on fish, pasta and potatoes but there are many, many other uses for pesto. Check out My Sister's Kitchen for some other suggestions. One other idea that's not on that site is to mix it with mayo and spread it on sandwiches.

I plan to make as much as possible and freeze it in small 1/2 cup Gladware containers. It is great to have on hand to toss with pasta for a quick dinner.

No comments: