Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zucchini Pie

In my quest to find ways to use up my zucchinis I came across this recipe for Zucchini Pie. It appeared to be similar to a recipe I used to make all the time called Cheeseburger Pie, which I acquired from the back of a Bisquick box.

I used all zucchini instead of half zucchini and half yellow squash and left out the tomatoes (because I didn't have any). Here's how I made it:

Zucchini Pie
6 servings

4 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup all-purpose baking mix
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.

Whisk together eggs and oil in a bowl with salt and pepper. Stir in baking powder and baking mix until moistened. Gently fold in zucchini and onion. Pour into prepared pie plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes.


It turned out pretty decent. It was a bit dry but overall I liked it. It was good reheated and I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Then another day later I had one lonely grape tomato from the garden and I decided to cut it up and put it on top of the last slice of pie:


It was a pretty big grape tomato so it went a long way. It was good with the tomato on top!

I plan to make this recipe again because it is a good way to use up extra zucchini. I think the next time I make it I will add some shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese to the egg-zucchini mixture before pouring it into the pie plate.

Update 7-31-08: I made this recipe again and this time I used half zucchini and half squash. I also stirred a handful of mozzarella cheese into the squash-egg mixture as well as a few chopped grape tomatoes from the garden before spreading the mixture into the pie plate. Then I grated real Parmigiano-Reggiano (leftover from making pesto) over the top of the pie. Then I popped it in the oven and baked as I did before. The result was very delicious and a great improvement upon the first try above. Adding the mozzarella cheese really helped the dryness and the tomatoes gave it an extra kick of flavor. FIL was over at the house today and he liked it so much that he ate HALF the pie in one day. LOL.

No comments: