Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Favorite Way to Eat Zucchini

I feel like I have been talking a lot about zucchini. Well it's not going to end anytime soon I don't think as I have picked a total of 35 zucchini thus far this season. Unless my plants die. Which is entirely possible as I think at least one plant is infected with squash vine borers. They are scary killers of zucchini plants.

Anyway I have a lot of zucchini in my fridge. I have been freezing quite a bit but I also just eat it because it is one of my favorite vegetables. And my favorite way to eat zucchini is this:

Zucchini with Toasted Walnuts
2 servings

1 large zucchini or 2 smaller zucchinis (smaller ones taste better - don't get the big mama jama because it appears to be a better value)
Walnuts, chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

In a skillet heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. I never measure this actually. I just swirl a good amount into the pan. Once oil is warm toss in the walnuts. Use as many as you like. I also make sure some of the walnut "dust" gets into the pan too because it gets stuck to the zucchini and makes it taste even better!

Toast the walnuts in the olive oil in the pan for a few minutes or until the nuts start to give off their aroma.

Meanwhile slice the zucchini into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. For large rounds slice them again into half moons. Lay the cut pieces out flat on the cutting board and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Flip them over. Sprinkle the backside with more salt and pepper.

Toss the seasoned zucchini rounds into the pan. Cook until desired donenesss. The zucchini will start to become transparent the more done they are. I like mine a little firm so I don't cook them too long. Make sure you flip them over and sear the back too.


Once they are done, transfer them to plates and allow to cool (they get very, very hot!). If desired sprinkle with fresh parmesan or mozarella cheese. The cheese is not necessary if you don't have any on hand. I make this dish all the time without cheese and it is just as good.

I love this recipe because it is fast and simple and it tastes really, really good. I love walnuts and put them in almost everything however this dish works with other kinds of nuts too. I've made it with pecans and it turned out very good then too. You can also use half zucchini and half yellow squash to give it a little more color.

Bon appetit!

No comments: