Monday, July 28, 2008

Zucchini Brownies (or Cake?)

My quest to use up my never-ending supply of zucchini and my unsatiable sweet tooth led me to this recipe for Zucchini Brownies.

Zucchini Brownies
24 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan (I don't have one of these so I used a 9 x 13 glass pan).

In a large mixing bowl sift (or whisk) together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, and sugar. In another bowl combine eggs, zucchini, oil and vanilla. Blend wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir in walnuts.

Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven. Allow pan to cool, then cut into bars.


I actually forgot to stir in the walnuts before I poured the batter into the pan so I sprinkled them across the top before I put the pan in the oven.

So how did it taste? Good and moist and not at all like zucchini actually. You can't even tell there's zucchini in it:


I bet if you took these to a party no one would guess there is zucchini in there. My only complaint on this recipe is that it's more like a cake than a brownie. If I made this recipe again I think I would use only one egg instead of two to try to get to a more dense brownie-like texture. The cake/brownie still tasted great and did not dry out at all, even after several days.

Overall I liked the recipe and zucchini brownies are a good way to use up any extra zucchini you have. However I don't know if I would make these if I didn't have extra zucchinis. I would probably just make regular brownies.

Check out other zucchini recipes:
Zucchini Pie
Zucchini with Toasted Walnuts

No comments: