Friday, August 29, 2008

Mexican Zucchini Casserole

I made this recipe several weeks ago when I had overflowing zucchini in the fridge. I found it on All Recipes and was intrigued at putting zucchini into a Mexican type dish. The original recipe can be found here. Below is the way I made it, with a few modifications to suit my tastes.

Spicy Mexican Zucchini Casserole
8 servings

2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium to large zucchini, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup cooked long grain rice
1 can black beans
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with garlic salt, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper and continue cooking and stirring until fragrant. Mix in the rice, beans and tomatoes and cook until just heated through. Remove from heat. Mix it one cup of cheese until well blended. Transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Cover the dish with a lid or foil.

Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with tortillas.


I basically used this casserole as a filling for tacos. I'm not sure how it would be to just eat it plain. Actually when I ate this casserole the night I made it, I only thought it was fair. I didn't dislike it enough to throw it out or anything, but there was something about the zucchini mixed in with the rice and beans that just didn't sit well with me. However I liked it better over the next couple of days when I took the leftovers in my lunch. Not sure why. Maybe I was just more used to the idea of zucchini in a Mexican dish.


The recipe was easy and it is a good way to use up an abundance of zucchini from the garden. I think I might make this again next year, especially if we're completely sick of eating all my usual zucchini dishes. I don't know that I would seek out a zucchini so I could make this dish though.

Other zucchini recipes:
Summer Stew
Zucchini Pie
Zucchini Cake
Zucchini with toasted walnuts

One year ago today:
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting - mmmmmm. This is my go-to recipe for buttercream and I use it all the time. I think I actually have some extra in the fridge right now. Maybe I should go get a spoonful...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I put my zucchini in fajita's, I cut them jullian and it was very good with steak, red and orange bell pepper and white onion. I used a can of Trader Joe salsa refried beans and it made a pretty terrific meal.