Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Second Life for Holiday Cards

I love getting holiday cards every year from all our friends and family. I like to see the cards people choose and read their family update letters of what's been going on with them all year. Makes me feel a little bit closer to those who are far away.

However I hate what happens in January. I have all these great cards that people put their love and well wishes into and what am I supposed to do? Just chuck them in the trash (or recycling bin)? It just doesn't seem right.

This year after I was done putting away all the decorations, I googled "recycle holiday cards". I thought I had heard about a program before that gave a second life to cards and lo and behold, it popped up.

The St. Jude's Ranch for Children has a Recycled Card Program. People mail in their used cards and the children help make the new cards by removing the front and attaching a new back. Then they sell the cards to raise money for the ranch.

What a fantastic idea! I gathered up all my cards (including some that were still hanging around in a drawer from last year - ooops) and mailed them all this week. It cost less than $3 to mail them to Nevada and I felt better that the cards will have a second life.

Next year I'll consider buying some cards from them instead of buying new cards. It's good to support the program from both ends of the spectrum. Wouldn't it be funny if I got back a card that I donated?

Click the link above to read more about the program and to find out where to mail the cards.

No comments: