Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal

I've been on an oatmeal kick lately. Maybe it's the cold weather that makes me want hot oatmeal for breakfast. Last week I blogged about Banana Berry Oatmeal and this week we are having Pumpkin Oatmeal. I love all things pumpkin but had never thought of putting it in oatmeal until now. Pumpkin is actually very good for you. It's a great source of Vitamin A.

Pumpkin Oatmeal
Serves 2

1 cup oats (not quick cooking)
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup pumpkin

Bring water and oats to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in in flax, salt, and cinnamon. Simmer for 5 minutes until oats are cooked. Remove from heat, stir in pumpkin and maple syrup.


This oatmeal turned out to have a great flavor. However at times it was a bit gritty. I'm not sure why that was. It wasn't enough to make me not want to make it again though.


This oatmeal would be a great way to use up a last bit of pumpkin from a can when you don't need an entire can for another recipe. I will be making this again. It's great in the winter.

Other Pumpkin Recipes:
Pumpkin French Toast
Pumpkin Cupcakes

No comments: