Sunday, January 24, 2010

Surprise Harvest

Look what we found in the garden today:


Surprise! The carrots we planted last fall (and never picked) had survived the crazy snow. The snow has finally melted almost all the way so we were able to go check out the garden this afternoon. And we dug up these carrots. We already tried one and they are nice and crunchy. Maybe next year I'll plant carrots in late fall on purpose so I can harvest them in January.



I'm getting excited for the 2010 garden!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I decided the other day we are going to plant some carrots in the spring (and maybe now the fall)!! I've been juicing carrots and it's yummy!! The boys even like it! I'm determined to make some everyday!

Amy said...

Hi Jen - we really wanted to juice carrots too, but haven't gotten enough to juice! The problems we've had with carrots are that the seeds are so tiny that when you plant them, you end up with so many in one row. Then you have to go through and meticulously thing them out in order for them to grow properly. It just takes time is all. You can get cheap seeds in bulk at Planters in the river market. It's the best.