Monday, January 18, 2010

Chickpea Curry

So last Sunday we decided to make Indian food for dinner. We hadn't had Indian food in forever and it sounded really good. I found what looked like an easy recipe for Chickpea Curry on All Recipes.

Chickpea Curry
Serves 4

4 medium potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.

Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. Pour in soup, cream, and chickpeas. Stir in potatoes. Simmer 5 minutes.



My take on it: The original recipe called for milk and I substituted coconut milk instead based on some of the comments to the recipe. I used coconut milk from a can, not the kind in a carton by the regular milk. The can kind was super creamy and thick. Other than that I made the recipe as directed.

And boy was it delicious. And easy. I really liked this recipe. It was a nice mild curry. We ate it with brown rice and naan. Naan is a type of flatbread and I plan to post the recipe tomorrow.


There was a ton of everything leftover so I enjoyed leftovers for lunch for at least two days. Although I had to eat my food in the break room instead of at my desk because I didn't want to smell up the cubicle area! P.S. Our house smelled like curry for at least a day after this.

The only thing I didn't like about this recipe was the condensed tomato soup. We could not find a brand of condensed soup that did not have a whole bunch of crap listed in the ingredients. We ended up buying it anyway because I really wanted to make this recipe. Next time I will try making it with plain tomato puree or chopped tomatoes or my own tomato soup. Honestly I didn't notice the tomato flavor at all so I bet it would be easy to substitute something else.

Bottom Line: Will definitely make again and will seek out other curry recipes to try.

No comments: